Ah, I'm so sad about Victoria Wood. What a bloody brilliant woman.
I have been up since 4:45 when L started loudly making himself breakfast (this from the child who disdains breakfast approximately 99% of the time) prior to the ridiculously early school trip departure and I'm not wholly serene to say the least about tomorrow so today has involved the following:
1. Saying "petits gâteaux' over and over again in Tom Kerridge's West Country accent (are you watching Bake Off Crème de la Crème? I love that French judge, I love him, I love his angry face and the way he says "sponge" and the furious disdain with which he pokes substandard dacquoise).
2. Deciding that before tomorrow I ought to be fully au fait with everything that has happened in French politics in the past 10 years, just in case, and trying to read a million articles about the loi el khomri but getting nowhere.
3. Starting to make tea/breakfast and forgetting about it for an hour. Starting again. Forgetting again. Giving up and having three lunches instead.
4. Practising reading out loud to the dog who stalked away coldly into another room.
5. Picking compulsively at lips.
6. Reading entire synopsis of A la recherche du temps perdu JUST IN CASE (in case what? In case of a surprise test on Proust? Yep, that's definitely a thing that happens in the normal course of a book event).
7. Buying and eating an M&S apple turnover telling myself it is in some way fitting or symbolic (it isn't, it is of no symbolic significance whatsoever except my friend Kate who features in the book introduced me to it).
8. Reading the end of A Place of Greater Safety which I have been rereading this month and loving utterly but MY GOD, it is not a good book if you are in a state of high nervous whateverthefuck. Doom! Dread! Betrayal! Galloping inevitability of tragedy!
9. Curling up under the printer when it had one of its fits and keening gently.
10. Laughing at this missive from my sister about getting mansplained at by a rogue poet.
I am off to wash my "hair" now because I am going to Paris tomorrow and they're not going to put up with this lank Old El Paso scented version. EEEEEK. THIS IS IT.