My aim for tonight's post is as follows: to finish by half past ten so I can go to bed and watch Line of Duty on the iPlayer. Commitment to quality, right here.
1. The Internet has been amusing today. I have enjoyed:
The two medieval monks invent cartography
Goat in Starbucks, an expert writes (according to B his friend was actually there during the Goat Incident)
Owl on a toy horse
2. Since I started learning Dutch I no longer need to put the titles on Beleef de Lente videos into Google Translate and can read for myself "seventh egg" for the kingfisher and "an egg soon?" for the little owls. Bird fanciers, I commend to you the tawny owl chicks (bosuil) tonight, because they are nearing maximum cuteness.
3. I ordered myself some posh new shoes as a premature book present and they arrived today without getting lost in the bowels of Bastardpost and I love them.
4. I am reading Nina Stibbe's new book, which is bloody brilliant of course and there was a section in it today that left me helpless with laughter, where the heroine writes a list of British euphemisms ("in nice writing with tasteful but honest illustrations") for her new boss.
5. Wednesday night is frite night and the frites were as good as ever.
6. Found a crumpled forgotten €20 note stuffed in the bottom of my wallet.
7. Several more sightings of book in the wild, including by B who BOUGHT it.
1. First week of spring-like weather = return of FULL BODY ITCHING.
2. My lizard brain has decided it is time to start worrying about getting sued.
3. My son's phone keeps buzzing hysterically as his class send each other semi-literate (and that's generous) messages (eg. J mon bar les coui for the lovely phrase "je m'en bats les couilles", I beat my testicles with it, meaning 'I don't give a shit about it' literally just read this off screen as I went to turn it off AGAIN), distracting me from my 10:30 deadline. #youth
4. The thing I am trying to finish writing has taken me far too long and is still awful.
5. I am getting fat again after last summer's madness left me pleasingly thinner. This is due to dietary creep, ie. almost imperceptibly adding more stealth food to my daily intake and pretending to myself that I haven't done it. Half a pretzel here, a couple of squares of chocolate (no, not "good quality dark chocolate") there, five thousand frites everywhere. Sigh.
6. It's already 10:38.
20% beef dripping
20% bin night blues
20% dry lip picking