I got tagged for a meme by this lot, which is handy, since I do not have the shred of an original thought in any part of my head right now.
What experience has most shaped you and why?
Christ, I dunno. Being the child of massively over-achieving, brilliant, ambitious parents perhaps? I am doomed to be a perpetual disappointment to myself and others. And a bit lazy.
If you had a whole day with no commitments what would you do?
I fear it might go like this.
Firstly I would lie awake for the whole of the preceding night plotting and replotting the optimum way to spend my day. Then I would be exhausted and grumpy by morning time. I would pour pointlessly vast amounts of energy into deciding what to have for breakfast, then be slightly regretful about what I had chosen.
I would have a bath, then lie in the bath fretting about wasting precious free time. Then I would get out and mope around trying to decide what to do, and vitally, where to have lunch.
I would spend too much time on the interwebs exactly as I do every other day.
I would lurk around shops with pretty things in. I would wonder whether to go to the cinema and decide against it.
There would be so many places I would insist on having coffee, or drinks in, I would have to spend half of the day peeing.
I would reach the end of the day and wonder how I managed to do so little with it.
Yes. I am not very good at straightforward enjoyment and spend crucial hours worrying about the opportunity cost of any given option. But at least I have bags of self-knowledge! Yay! Who needs fun when you have a brutally clear vision of your own character flaws?
What food or drink could you never give up?
Tea. Because it has a meta-significance way beyond simply being a slightly boring but refreshing hot beverage and without the social lubricant that is tea, my social life, culture and the cohesive structure of British society would fall to pieces.
And salt. Because I had to give up salt for a year when I was 20 and on massive doses of steroids in a vain attempt to stop my hair falling out, and it was one of the worst years of my life, not just because of the hair, but because life without salt is POINTLESS. Just stick me in a field with a salt lick and a thermos of tea and I'll be fine.
If you could travel anywhere, where would that be and why?
I am not at all well-travelled, like, embarrassingly, grotesquely, ill-travelled. Consequently this list is very long and mainly composed of cities - Berlin, New York, San Francisco, Sydney, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Tokyo.
I would happily settle for going back to Venice though, any day.
Who do you have a crush on?
Oh, but there are so many! Crushes make life fun. Or mortifying. Or a bit of both. And I'm good with that.
1. Children's headmaster - still, and possibly forever, even though he is mean as hell and has hair like a loo brush.
2. Colleague Who Shall Remain Nameless.
3. Ex-Colleague Who Shall Remain Nameless
4. Josh Rouse - so perfectly rumpled and just the right height, and deliciously nerdy glasses, and generally divine and having spoken to him after his gig at Ancienne Belgique I am now hopelessly in love with him.
5. The man behind the counter in BioBar, my local juice bar. He's just comically handsome and a stunning advert for juice.
If you were the leader of your country, what would you do?
This is not at all a fanciful question for me, because I totally could be in charge of Belgium. None of the other candidates have any particularly impressive credentials beyond looking like potatoes. Well, I can look like a potato too, Votre Majesté! My policies:
- Replace all Brussels cobbles with nice smooth modern tarmac, possibly with a rubberised heel friendly coating.
- Make everyone speak Esperanto. It would be more amusing and reduce the problems of linguistic conflict.
- Force Marks & Spencer to open a large Brussels store and make Cadburys take over the local chocolate industry
- Put Fabiola on the national flag and coinage.
I tag the following perhaps slightly lesser known blogs from my blogroll, that are excellent and that I don't think I have tagged before:
I am supposed to add a question, so my question is:
Give me one easy savoury recipe that does not include cheese.
And now I must hobble to work. It could take a while. Do please all answer any of the questions you would like in the comments. It would make me very cheerful.